Israeli military said on Sunday that one of its tanks "accidentally" hit an Egyptian position near the border with the Gaza Strip, as a second convoy of aid trucks crossed the frontier.
Since Israel imposed a total blockade and launched its relentless bombardment of Gaza in response to Hamas' deadly attack on Israeli soil two weeks ago, the Palestinian enclave has been shut off from vital aid – including food, water, electricity and medical supplies – as it suffers what the UN described as a catastrophic humanitarian "situation."
On Saturday, after several weeks of aid agencies being barred from crossing into the Strip, the first trickle of supplies was allowed to enter the Palestinian territory. However, the 20 trucks permitted to enter were described by UN agencies as a "drop in the ocean" given the "catastrophic" humanitarian situation there.
Shortly after a second convoy entered the crossing on Sunday, witnesses said a blast was heard in the vicinity of the crossing and that ambulances could be heard deploying from the Egyptian side of the Rafah border.
The Israeli military said one of its tanks had accidentally fired and hit an Egyptian position near the border. "The incident is being investigated and the details are under review. The IDF [Israel Defense Forces] expresses sorrow regarding the incident," it said in a statement, giving no further details. Several Egyptian border guards sustained minor injuries, a spokesperson for the Egyptian army said.
The Rafah crossing, the main entry and exit point to Gaza that does not lead to Israel, has become the focus of a push to deliver aid as humanitarian conditions in Gaza worsen. UN officials say at least 100 trucks a day would be required in Gaza to cover urgent needs. Before the outbreak of the most recent conflict, several hundred trucks had been arriving in the enclave daily.
Humanitarian situation 'catastrophic'
The humanitarian situation in Gaza was now "catastrophic," said the head of the UN World Food Program, Cindy McCain, adding that the aid trucks that had entered so far were a drop in the ocean and that agencies needed secure, sustainable access to the enclave.
Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh on Sunday called on the international community to create a "united front" to stop Israel's attacks in Gaza and allow more aid into the Strip. "We place at the top of our priorities stopping the Israeli aggression (...) and bringing in medical and relief aid to prevent a major humanitarian catastrophe," Shtayyeh said.